
So here is my appropriation for my drawing class....I appropriated from the
Portrait of the Reverend Mother Maria Antonia de Rivera... The piece was painted in the eighteenth century- it was fashionable for Mexican families to have portraits painted of their daughters who were taking their final vows to become nuns... also known as Monjas Corondas. It wasn't until I read about the piece did the beauty come out. As I read it I made the relation to all people - maybe not going through extravagant processes of crowns and portraits but we all "crown" ourselves with devotion to something. Here I have my crowd crowned with their clothes, themselves, food, activities etc. The concept here expands a little further in that this woman painted has her years laid out- born in 1736, took vows in 1757, became prioress in 1791, and then died in 1806. It was a little depressing seeing how quickly your years can be lumped summed. How often do we go on about our way without thinking what we are summing up in the time we have?
No comments:
Post a Comment